Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Week Long Story: And Baby Makes Three...at 18




Captions:

































Work Report:
Overall, I'm a lot happier with this assignment than my last one, although there were still some areas where I think I could have improved. It was difficult getting an overall shot because of the environment, and also just because of the story topic. Outside of some images of Noah playing on the floor and Jordan and Brian sitting on the couch, there wasn't any other moment that might have conveyed an overall image, and the one described was just boring. I would have also really liked to get more interactions shots with Jordan and Brian together, but unfortunately due to access issues I wasn't able to, and on the two days that I shot this he was there for all of about an hour. Another obstacle that I had to overcome was finding honest moments in front of me. I was hoping that I would be able to go out with Jordan when she ran errands or visited family, but that fell through, so all of my images are of her doing her daily routine in the house, which became repetitive. That is the reason why I only chose to pull in a few images of Jordan actually doing things with Noah that showed a bit more emotion.
I really like the portraits that I took of Jordan, and I think both show the two sides of her being a mother and while sometimes it is exhausting, it is rewarding at the same time. I also really liked the shots of her with Brian and Noah because they show both how they are a family, and how they are still young and joke around a lot. I think in this assignment I was able to change my lens more often and work different angels, even though a lot of the images I shot that were a little different style-wise I didn't pull in because they didn't add much to the story. I was, however, more conscientious this time of how I was shooting, and that helped me vary my images.
My audio turned out much better than I had expected, and I think that it adds a lot to the story. The first time I interviewed Jordan, it was very hard to get her to restate the questions, and very little of the audio was usable. Plus she spoke very quietly and somewhat monotone, so when the second interview came around, I made sure that she restated the question every time and it was a much better interview. I was upset that the wireless mics weren't quite working right when I tried them out the night before, so I had to use the M-Audio mic only, and although it picked up more background noise than I liked, I don't think it was distracting in the final piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment